Q: Lost trailer brakes & lighting due to improper installation

The trailer wiring plug receiver on my truck was installed upside down. When I was driving on rough roads, this caused me to lose trailer brakes and the lighting on the trailer. Previously the door opened up, but now opens down. The 7 wire RV plug won't stay plugged in all the way because it is too heavy. This is very dangerous when travelling downhill with a loaded trailer. I saw the dealer and he said yes to my question if they have had other complaints like mine. However, the mechanics couldn't duplicate the problem and they didn't have any service bulletins. The ‘Service Trailer Wiring’ message displays any time I hit a bump or turn the truck. Can you tell me what to do to repair and solve these problems?

It is possible an independent mechanic may be able to devise a fix for the wiring issue that the dealer would be restricted from doing as it may require modifications. One thing to consider though, modifications to the truck may void existing warranties.

3. Lost trailer brakes & lighting due to improper installation