Q: Lost tension on the tensioner

I went to change alternator after everything was done, started it up and serpentine belt came off. Looked under seen that i lost all tension in the tensioner bar.

A: Hi there: This actually happens more often...

Hi there:

This actually happens more often than you might think and is caused by one of two things. Either the tensioner is not properly aligned and installed correctly or it was damaged when the serpentine belt broke. In either case, since the serpentine belt broke, you should replace the tensioner, the pulleys and the serpentine belt to ensure this doesn’t happen again.