Q: Lost power steering and now my brake and battery light are on is the car safe to drive

asked by on February 20, 2017

Lost power steering and now my brake and battery light are on is the car safe to drive

Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. If the fluid level is normal and the brakes work normally, it might be safe to drive to a repair shop but beyond that, no, it is definitely not safe to drive the car. Inasmuch as the power steering doesn’t work and the battery light is on,it may be that the serpentine belt that drives those systems is broken. So, in the simplest scenario, you might just need a new serpentine belt. If you request serpentine belt replacement a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will check that possibility and replace the belt if needed. Alternatively, if the belt is not the issue, the mechanic will still diagnose the problem and resolve it. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.