Q: Loss of power, screeching noise

My car developed some issues after I had it jump-started the other day. Firstly, the dashboard would be showing lights illuminated at random. Also, the heat controls quit functioning. Now, when I'm driving, it feels as though there is less power than before and I've noticed some screeching sounds. What might be causing this?

Hello. It sounds like the battery and/or alternator is malfunctioning and causing your vehicle to have electrical issues. If the battery is weak or the alternator is overcharging or undercharging the system, it will cause a lack of power, the lights on the dashboard may come on randomly. If the alternator has a bad bearing in it and/or if the moving parts in the alternator are going bad it may cause a screeching noise. I would suggest that you have the electrical system inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.