Q: Sporadic loss of power when accelerating

Issue started Thursday June 2nd, 2016. Was accelerating from being stopped at a stop sign and noticed it did not have the initial power from the engine like it normally does. Pressing down on the accelerator it would gradually get up to speed and then once it did, it kept the power and speed. Got to where I was going. Had it shut off for about 3 and half hours. Then started out again and noticed this time it had all the power and acceleration like it normally does but only to lose it again after I had to turn around, go back, this time only put it in park and keeping it running then back into drive and go and have slow acceleration and no power once more.

Its the 4.7L V-8. Auto trans and AWD/4WD.

A: Hello. This can be caused by a number of th...

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. If the Check Engine Light is coming on then I would usually start by scanning the computer for codes. If there are codes then it may give me an idea of what is going on.

If not then I usually monitor the signals from the sensors to see if any are failing. If they are also fine then the catalytic converter needs to be checked for clogging and the fuel pressure must be checked as the pump may be failing causing low fuel pressure.

From what you are saying it sounds like the fuel pump may be going out. If you plan on having this looked at, consider the assistance from a certified mechanic who can come to your home or office to diagnose your loss of power.