Q: Loss of oil pressure in engine - 1998 Dodge Ram 1500

asked by on November 10, 2016

Just bought the vehicle and was told that it loses oil pressure while driving. I have already experienced that. Was also told that the fix to replace engine. Are there any other possible options?

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The first task is to determine what is causing the low oil pressure. Only then will we know what the other options may be. Typical causes of low oil pressure are a bad oil pump, low oil level, oil leaks, clogged oil lines, worn engine bearings, a faulty pressure relief valve, a clogged oil filter, or a variety of engine block damage. If the engine block is cracked or damaged internally, then the only repair would be a new engine; otherwise, most parts are replaceable.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine whether there is a leak in the car or something more serious causing the reduction in the oil pressure.