Q: Losing coolant via the water pump

I am losing coolant via the water pump and what appears to be a small amount in the tailpipes. The engine idles and runs fine, but the water loss is significant.

The symptoms you describe for your Audi lead me to believe that not only is your water pump failing, but coolant is finding its way into the exhaust system. This can happen a few different ways such as a blown head gasket or your Audi’s water cooled turbocharger has developed a leak, allowing coolant to enter the exhaust system. To be 100% certain however, it may be time to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic to go over your vehicle with you. They will have the knowledge and tools necessary to determine exactly why you are leaking coolant from these areas and assist you in making the necessary repairs to get your Audi running leak free again.

3. Losing coolant via the water pump