Q: lights came on car clunking pulled over

my car is overdue for an oil change drove home from work lights came on started clunking help thank you

Hello, thank you for writing in. A clunking noise can unfortunately stem from a wide variety of issues. The first step is to determine if the clunking was engine related, exhaust related, or wheel related. All of the above will cause issues while driving, and cause warning lights to illuminate. If the clunking is engine or exhaust related, you would likely hear it at idle when the car is not moving. A wheel issue would obviously happen when the vehicle was moving. A lack of oil in the engine would cause lifter and valve noise. This is typically described as a clicking, rather than a deeper "clunk". The check engine lights can be read by a scan tool by a technician or at your local parts store. Further testing is needed. For more diagnostic help, contact our [service department]9https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-making-a-noise-inspection) to schedule an appointment.

3. lights came on car clunking pulled over