Q: LEAKING OIL PAN GASKET

PART OF THE OIL PAN GASKET BLEW OUT,LEAKING OIL BAD. IS THIS A BASIC REPAIR FOR A DIY'R? I WILL BE USING MY FRIENDS LIFT. I KNOW I HAVE TO DROP THE EXHAUST, BUT LOOKING UNDER IT IN THE DRIVEWAY, IT LOOKS LIKE SOME TRANSMISSION MOUNTS ARE IN THE WAY. IS THIS TO DIFFICULT TO DO MYSELF? I'VE DONE A LOT OF MY OWN REPAIRS MYSELF.

This sounds like it is something that is within your skills ability. I can’t speak to your skills for certain without knowing what kind of repairs you have done in the past though. As far as oil pan gasket replacement goes, this is on the easier side of how difficult they can be. The exhaust comes out fairly simply. The only difficulty with some exhaust systems would be the potential for rusted bolts. If you should run into rusted bolts or nuts on the exhaust system, make sure you have some PB Blaster at the ready. You can find it in any parts store.

I would not cal this a basic repair, but I would say it is doable for most do it your selfers. It will take a bit longer if you have an AWD (all wheel drive) turbo charged Stealth. This will require you to deal with the transfer case a cross member and transaxle braces. It is all fairly straight forward. Just be sure to support the motor and transmission properly before removing the cross member. There is no better way as a technician to improve our skills than to take on a project we feel might be outside of our skill set. Every time I have done this, I have surprised myself and been happy I did.

I say go for it.

If you should decide against doing it yourself, I recommend the following inspection to help you out. Oil pan gasket replacement

Good luck!

3. LEAKING OIL PAN GASKET