Q: Kia Cerato 2011 jerks when accerating

When I initiate drive and accelerate the engine, the car jerks. I also noticed the check engine light comes on and blinks. As I get to about 50Km/Hr I hear a humming sound too with some vibration. It is more eminent when I am using the car air conditioning system and / or the rear screen heater.

A: Your car’s engine intake system has somethi...

Your car’s engine intake system has something called a mass air flow sensor that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This may cause a hesitation, loss of power or jerking reaction when this sensor is malfunctioning. When this is not working properly, you may also notice a strong smell of fuel. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your mass air flow sensor.