Q: Key will not turn in ignition.

I was installing a car audio system, and to do so I have to take off my dash to reach the back of my stereo. so I had to turn my key to "on" but not fully started to take off the dash easier. but when I pulled off my dash, it ripped out my car key out of the ignition while it was still on. I then put the key back in and turned it off and now it will not turn at all.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. After reading yo...

Hi, thanks for writing in. After reading your submission, it looks as if you may have damaged the actual ignition switch when you took the dash off when the key was ’ripped’ out of the ignition switch. When this occurred, it misaligned the tumblers inside the key hole, leading to the problem you’re experiencing now. Your best bet is to have the ignition switch replaced. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to perform this task for you.