Q: Key isn't stuck in the ignition, but will not turn at all, and I know the battery is dead. Is it the battery or worn key cylinder?

Key broke, got a new key made but it will not turn, at all. Can the dead battery be the problem or is it a worn key cylinder?

A: Hi there. Try turning the steering wheel h...

Hi there. Try turning the steering wheel hard and see if the ignition tumbler will unlock. If the tumbler will unlock, then the lock inside the steering column is worn and needs replaced. If the steering will not unlock, then the lock inside the steering column has broke. The steering wheel and airbag will need to be removed down to the ignition switch (tumbler). Then look at the lock to the ignition switch and see if its bent. You can pry the lock down and remove the switch from the steering column. Then the locking rod will be visible to where you can bend it back into place. If its broken, then the locking rod will need replaced. Charge up the battery or replace it when the ignition switch is able to operate. If you need further assistance with the ignition switch being stuck, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.