Q: just noticed that it is overheating--no water dripping and the temperature gauge is normal. Not sure if it is the thermostat.

I can smell that it is overheating now. I recently noticed the coolant level was a little low so I added to it to the fill line I thought. But it still smelled like it was overheated a bit but no real evidence of it. Now I can visibly see the smoke coming out of the engine but no liquid pouring down. The temperature gauge was still at normal.

Hi there:

There are multiple issues that could be causing this overheating problem on your 2003 Windstar. First, you might have a thermostat issue that is not allowing coolant to flow through the motor as it should, second could be the fan is not working or third, you might have a water pump that has failed. The fact that your dashboard temperature gauge is faulty might indicate that the temperature sensor is damaged as well. In order to eliminate a lot of the guess work, contact one of our professional local mechanics to complete an engine is overheating inspection first, before taking it to a shop for repairs.

3. just noticed that it is overheating--no water dripping and the temperature gauge is normal. Not sure if it is the thermostat.