Q: Jumper cables crossed.The car wouldn't start. Found it was a fuse that blew which we replaced. The car turned on but then we had t

asked by on June 07, 2017

Crossed the jumper cables. Car wouldn't start after that. Figured out it was a fuse that blew which we replaced. Then we replaced the alternator.The car was working fine. But then the battery started dying again after a couple of days. So we have to carry w/ a portable battery charger because we don't know when the car is not going to start. What can it be that is sucking up the battery. Please help

Battery is dead Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If you are very lucky, you may just need a battery. When you cross the jumper cables, you can do a lot of damage in the blink of an eye. If it just trashes the alternator and the battery, you have beaten the odds. You could try disconnecting the battery to see if it still goes dead. If it does, you may just need a battery. If it doesn’t go dead when disconnected, then you have a draw in the system. In your case, you might have damaged one or more diodes in one of the many control units that inhabit your car. Testing for an off key draw is time consuming and requires a pretty thorough knowledge of the car’s systems. You can have this thing checked out by a pro by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your battery drain and advise you as to the next step.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr