Q: Jeep stalls when driving on bumpy roads

My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been stalling (and the check engine light flashes then goes away) when driving upon bumpy and uneven roads. It is especially bad when making left turns and encountering bumps, the engine sometimes shuts off. It has also shut off occasionally when shifting from drive to reverse. Ive done some researching and think it could be related to a short in the electrical system or possibly be related to the crankshaft positioning sensor. Could anyone help me identify why it may be stalling while encountering semi rough roads?

Hi Hunter. Thanks for the question today. A random stalling issue like you’ve described can be caused by loose electrical connections - but knowing which ones for certain would require an onsite inspection. It’s also possible that fuel system obstructions, from dirty fuel filters, to clogged fuel injectors can also cause this type of stalling problem. One issue you’re going to find when trying to diagnose this - is replicating the symptoms. As preventative maintenance, you might want to start by inspecting the crankshaft and cam position sensors - especially the harness for starters, as well as fuel system components. If they are dirty, they should be cleaned or replaced.

3. Jeep stalls when driving on bumpy roads