Q: Jeep idling rough.

My jeep runs very rough while idling and continues to run rough when accelerating. The Check Engine Light is not on, even though the jeep has been running more roughly lately. You can also smell the exhaust much more than usual.

The rough running engine may indicate a miss fire in one or more of the cylinders or the crankshaft sensor may be intermittently not registering. The most common problem is fouled spark plugs and would require plug replacement to fix it. This year jeep seemed to run on the rich side and would foul the plugs. This does not mean that the coils could not be at fault though. I recommend to have a qualified mechanic check it out, such as one from YourMechanic.