Q: It won't start at first try

When I turn it on it doesn't start by it's self I have to put a lil a bit gas so it won't turn off on me it may be the fuel filter or the fuel pump

At first glance, I’d agree with you that the fuel filter is probably the source of your staring issues. Usually when the fuel filter gets dirty, initial start-up is the first symptom to show up. I’d suggest changing the fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body and fuel injectors all at the same time, especially if it hasn’t been done in a while. Either one of these three items can cause the problem you’re experiencing with your 2001 Silverado. If you would like to have this taken care of for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose and repair the starting problem.