have a 1997 Plymouth grand voyager the transmission went ...

Q: have a 1997 Plymouth grand voyager the transmission went out so I pulled one out from the same year car and everything thing but

asked by on November 16, 2017

have a 1997 Plymouth grand voyager the transmission went out so I pulled one out from the same year car and everything thing but the transmission isn't working right. It drives goes in reverse and low gears but while I'm driving it does shift into gear and when i park and put it into drive sometimes it shuts off, when i shut off the car and drive it it kicks into gear perfectly and other times it wont. Was i supposed to reprogram the computer?

Hi Brandon. Thanks for sending in the question today. Typically, when you replace a transmission, throttle body or other electronically operated and controlled system, resetting the TCM or ECU to link correctly with the system is a part of the installation process. However, it is quite possible that the replacement transmission you are using is faulty as well, or perhaps not correctly installed. There are simply too many variables to provide you with accurate advice, so I start by purchasing a service and repair manual for your Plymouth Voyager and review the exact steps and see if there was something you missed. If this doesn’t help, I would recommend consulting with a transmission specialist.