Q: is there any way possible a clogged untake before air filter or a bad pcv can ever lead to rod damage in the engine

Drove car to store. Came back out and engine wouldn't turn over. Was a bad starter. Replaced starter and no luck. Removed #1 spark plug and burped the engine,some kind of vapor lock? Engine turned over and rod was immediately knocking. With full new oil change and oil filter. Took car to Toyota and they said rod was wrapped around crank shaft and engine is shot. I'm real confused of how a rod gets so damaged from engine not running then total knock upon restarting.there was no knock or engine problem before stopping at store. How is any of this possible? It doesn't make sense

A: Hello. I have seen similar things happen wi...

Hello. I have seen similar things happen with this engine before. Typically it has nothing to do with the PCV valve though. Majority of the time it was because a rod bearing was failing. Once the vehicle was turned off, it spun the bearing and then the noise occurred. The most common reason that I have come across for this issue is a failing catalytic converter. This can cause excessive pressure and even debris to back up into the engine which can cause it to lock and bend a rod. This can be an expensive repair. If you needed a second opinion, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the knocking you're experiencing with the vehicle.