Q: I have a 2002 pontiac Grand Prix gt. My engine light is on and my fuel gauge always reads empty. Any idea why?

I have a 2002 pontiac Grand Prix gt. My engine light is on and my fuel gauge always reads empty. Any idea why?

The check engine light just means that diagnostic trouble codes have been stored in the car’s engine computer. These codes (and there are hundreds of possible codes) signify that the computer has detected a malfunction in the engine controls and/or the emission control system. The first thing always is to just make sure that your gas cap is secure because if loose that can actually cause the check engine light to come on. If you cap is OK, you can simply request a check engine light diagnostic and a certified mobile mechanic will come to your location and use a scanner to download the codes. The mechanic then will complete the process of testing the components that are listed as "possible trouble areas" in the downloaded codes. It’s pretty straightforward but as far as exactly what is likely to be found, that is what the exact fault is, that can’t even be guessed at until the actual codes are downloaded and read.

With regard to the gas gauge, the issue you are describing is typically caused by a defective sending unit in the tank, the wiring to the dash gauge, or the dash gauge itself. If you request a sending unit diagnostic - fuel tank the mechanic will check the whole circuit, not just the sending unit, and let you know of the required repair and cost. If you get lucky, it could be a simple low cost wiring issue. If the problem is a faulty sending unit, it’s somewhat more involved as the sending unit is actually in the fuel tank. Straightforward tests will pinpoint the faulty component though. If you request the noted services, the responding certified mechanic will get all of this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I have a 2002 pontiac Grand Prix gt. My engine light is on and my fuel gauge always reads empty. Any idea why?