Q: Is it possible to crack an engine block by flushing the radiator?

is it possble to crack the engine block by just flushing the radiator out if the temperature gauge is just at the normal operating temp and you use the water hose. Is it possible to crack the engine block because of the temperature of the water.

A: Hi there: Is it possible - certainly. If t...

Hi there:

Is it possible - certainly. If the engine block is hot and the coolant being flushed is cold, it’s actually rather simple for small cracks to develop inside the water passageways. It really depends on the condition of the block, whether it’s aluminum, steel, or iron and the method of performing the radiator flush. If you need assistance, YourMechanic can dispatch a mobile technician to your location to flush your radiator or inspect any damages that have been done in result of one. Best of luck.