Q: Having to pump gas to start car

In order to get my car started, I have to pump the gas. Sometimes it will stay on and sometimes it doesn't.

Hi there, when you press on the gas pedal the engine opens up the throttle to allow more air to flow into the cylinders. Since you have to press on the gas to start the engine there may be an issue with air flow. Your vehicle also has an Idle Air Control Valve, or something similar, which helps the engine get air when you are not pressing on the gas pedal. Over time these can clog up and get dirty, restricting air flow, and causing issues when the car is started up and trying to warm up. You should have a certified technician to inspect your vehicle and diagnose why your car is not starting properly.