Is it normal for the brakes to get hot or smell hot after the pads and rotors are changed on the rear brakes?

My rear brakes were grinding really bad and my friend changed my pads and rotors. When we took the pads off of the left rear, one of the pads was completely gone. We had a hard time getting the new pads on because they were so tight. My friend had a hard time getting the piston to move. Now when I drive it smells really hot. Do I need to get the caliper checked? is it safe to drive like this?

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight.

From the description of your 2010 Pontiac G6 braking issue, there are a few likely causes. If the piston in the caliper did not move freely than this will allow the brake pad to drag on the rotor. When the pad drags it can overheat the rear brakes and cause them to fail. The caliper will need to be inspected before the vehicle is driven more.

If you would like help getting these inspected, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose these brake problems for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.