Q: Is it bad when oil gets into the throttle body?

asked by on February 17, 2017

In November my throttle body was acting up. Lightening bolt n traction control light came on. I had it cleaned and all was well. 3 days ago it happened again. This time worse, where it wouldn't drive right, made noise, had to get it towed. Engine light never came on. I had the throttle body replaced. The mechanic told me there was a little oil in the old throttle body and that my engine, i guess, could have blown up. Now I am really worried about the oil that was in the old throttle body. He said the new one could last 6 months or 6 years. They don't know how oil got into it. Maybe it blew in? My truck is paid off and I really love it and don't wanna buy a new one. But I want to be sure it's safe or can be fixed that I can keep it going a couple more years. Thank you for your help!

Hello, I believe what you are describing is a problem with your PCV valve. A bit of oil in the throttle body is not going to harm your motor and is certainly not going to cause it to blow up. At an idle, the PCV valve restricts air flow, to reduce this problem. At high manifold vacuum (idle), a spring loaded valve is drawn up and partially restricts flow to the crankcase. The PCV system is relatively simple. An inlet hose connects to a filtered air source. This is used to supply clean air that is drawn through the engine. Most of the time this air is supplied through the engine air filter. On a few designs there is a separate inlet filter that cleans the incoming air for the PCV system only. This filtered air flows through the engine, picking up fumes and vapors. The air exits through another hose, connected to manifold vacuum. The flow of air draws fumes from the crankcase and burns them harmlessly in the engine. This also creates a slight vacuum, relieving any pressure that may build. Negative pressure helps to prevent oil leaks and oil consumption by the engine. The PCV valve also helps regulate the amount of air flow, which helps prevent oil being drawn out of the engine. When the PCV valve is not working correctly, this will cause an imbalance in air flow and vacuum causing the check engine light to come on. i would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your Jeep.