Q: Is it a huge pain to change the timing chain the same time you replace a leaking water pump on Lincoln aviator 2003?

My 2003 Lincoln Aviator has had a lot of rattling as soon as you crank it for some time now. People have told me its the timing chain. My water pump has gone out now, I believe. Its leaking coolant/water and the temp gauge takes up to 5-7minutes to read. Have had to top off water tank 2-3 times a wk. My question is, are these two parts close to each other and can I save labor by having these fixed at the same time? Thank you!!

Hi there. Although the parts themselves are very close to each other, they require completely different services, tools and parts to successfully complete both jobs. At some shops, they will offer "labor discounts" for completing both jobs at the same time; however, there are usually additional ’shop supply’ charges or others that make up for that original discount. I can say from the mechanics point of view, that replacing the timing chain with the water pump removed is much easier to access.

3. Is it a huge pain to change the timing chain the same time you replace a leaking water pump on Lincoln aviator 2003?