Q: I put it into reverse then drive but won't go. in neutral it tried to back up, the gears lock even D in it just won't go forward

My car was parked over night. In the morning I went out let it run then put in reverse but i had to rev really high and it didn't seem to want to go. Put it into drive and wouldn't budge but it acted as if it was in gear. Even when I put it in gear (every gear) the car clicks and you can tell it catching a gear I checked the transmission fluid was low so I filled it up. Ran it though the gears and still wouldn't go. It reverses great not a problem with it now but it won't drive it boggs down in park won't let you rev it in neutral it tried to back up like it was in reverse but would roll in neutral. I'm confused

If the transmission was so low on fluid that it wouldn’t operate in reverse, it could be that there is extensive internal damage. At 169 000 miles it’s about time. But don’t panic yet. There are a couple of things you can check. First, the fluid level has to be absolutely correct. Too much fluid can cause strange behaviors as well as too little. filling a transmission can be tricky and the factory procedure must be followed to the letter. Second, your car uses an electronically controlled transmission. The ECU that controls the functions stores trouble codes as well to help in diagnosing failures. The ECU needs to be scanned by a qualified technician with the appropriate equipment to make a diagnosis. You can have both of these things done by contacting Your Mechanic. they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Mitsubishi and let you know what it is going to take to solve your problem.

3. I put it into reverse then drive but won't go. in neutral it tried to back up, the gears lock even D in it just won't go forward