Q: Need to find out how to set timing on balance shaft assembly.

I am reassembling a repaired engine. I need to find out how to properly synchronize the balance shaft assembly as it is being installed under the crankshaft. I also need the torque spec's for the attaching bolts. 2006 Ford Escape 2.3 liter Z code engine

A: Rotate the crank until the number 1 cylinde...

Rotate the crank until the number 1 cylinder is at top dead center. Make sure to replace the adjustment shims exactly as they came out, on the seat faces of the balance shaft assembly. Line up the marks on the end of the shafts to the marks on the housing. This puts the balance shafts in TDC position. Slowly lower the unit onto the engine block and install the bolts. Then tighten the bolts, in an x pattern to 18 lb-ft, followed by a final torque of 37 lb-ft. Finally, rotate the crank to ensure there are no problems with the gears meshing. You may refer to a factory service manual for detailed instructions and illustrations of the installation.