Q: Is a flush okay for an older transmission? Or should you stick with a drain and fill.

My truck has 124K on it. I have heard both sides of the coin. A flush could loosen up deposits and cause you more issues, or complete failure, but it makes sense to flush it as well. As far as I know, the previous owner never changed the trans fluid. Can I go with a flush or just a drain and fill to be safe?

A: Most transmission repair shops and mechanic...

Most transmission repair shops and mechanics that say they are flushing your transmission are really just transferring your fluid out and new fluid into your transmission. This fluid transfer will take twice the amount of fluid that a normal drain and fill of the transmission does. A drain and fill will only replace about 1/2 of the fluid that is in the transmission. I would recommend having the fluid transfer method to replace most of the fluid.