Q: Intermittent ticking sound from front of engine

My new Nissan Titan (2017) with 5.6 L V8 gas engine and 7 sp transmission has an intermittent ticking sound coming from front of engine. My truck has only 5,000 kms on it. No ticking at startup and sometimes after you drive it a bit and then let it idle you hear the ticking. When taken to Nissan dealership (service manager/technician have heard the ticking) and by the time they get to the truck to and try and identify where exactly the ticking is coming from, the ticking has stopped. From what the service manager has heard, he is certain that it isn't coming from the engine. They have checked the serpentine belt system and its OK - they suspect the cooling fan clutch and are willing to replace. Any suggestions ???

If the ticking sound seems to be dependent on temperature, I might suggest taking a look for an exhaust leak somewhere. Small exhaust leaks will normally begin when cold and diminish as the engine warms, but in my experience, I have seen exhaust manifolds and pipe connections that will respond in the opposite, like you are describing. I’m not sure if this is the case in your situation, but it is another credible place to look.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr