Q: Instrument cluster dead.

A few nights ago I was driving home from work and noticed the odometer was black, I did not think this to be much of a pressing matter as the cluster gauges were still working. However when I left to take my daughter to school the next morning, the entire cluster was no longer working... I have had the fuses under the hood checked and they are all good. What could be the problem?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help.

BMWs are notorious for odd electrical issues being caused even by something as simple as a weak battery. I recommend to start tackling this issue by having the battery tested. If this checks out, then have the alternator tested as well. If that checks out, have the voltage regulator tested.

If all of the charging system components are working fine, I would then have the gauge cluster removed and tested as these can sometimes, although rarely, go bad. Be careful if this needs to be replaced as there are very specific procedures that need to be followed when replacing the gauge cluster in a BMW. It is not as simple as just swapping it out. Often times they need to be recoded to that specific vehicle.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.