Q: In a 1996 Nissan Sentra will both air bag deploy even if no passenger is present?

I wanted to know if the car was in an accident would both airbags deploy or just one. I have heard different things.

The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) system in the 1996 Sentra is NOT equipped with any passenger seat sensors that could potentially determine if a passenger is actually present in the vehicle, let alone that passenger’s weight. Consequently, if the SRS central control unit activates the airbags, due to a crash, by design both driver and passenger side airbags in your vehicle will deploy at exactly the same instant. This is confirmed by the wiring diagram in the Factory Service Manual for your vehicle. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. In a 1996 Nissan Sentra will both air bag deploy even if no passenger is present?