Q: Ignition switch noise

Sometimes when I turn the key on my car, it makes a grinding noise once in a while. The sound is not coming from the starter, but from the inside of the car on the key ignition switch system. What can the noise be? Thanks

A: The grinding noise you're describing co...

The grinding noise you're describing could be coming from the mechanical portion of the column and switch itself. In other words, parts are worn or broken, but in this case you would or should feel it in your key as you turn it. Another scenario would be an electrical component such as a relay, timer, solenoid, or actuator that is switched on by your key. Often times they can make a noise that meets your description. You have done well by isolating the area, try removing the sound insulators under your dash were you can more closely isolate the area the noise is coming from.