Q: If you just put a brand new tps in a 97 jeep grand cherokee and the idle is at 1000 rpms, would you consider that the sensor is bad? Thanks

asked by on February 10, 2017

if you put in a new tps and it idles at 1000 rps is it bad . thanks

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote
Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. You can adjust the throttle plate on the throttle body or adjust the throttle position sensor. If making the adjustments has no effect on the engine idle, then there could be a vacuum leak or the Idle Air Control valve (IAC) could be failing causing the idle to be higher than normal.

If you need further assistance with your high engine idle condition, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.