Q: I try to put my car into gear, but it won't allow me. I can put it into reverse & 3rd gear, but it grinds immediate as I do. 2000 Toyota Celica

asked by on December 31, 2016

Even whilst engaging the clutch, the shifter won't go into gear. After a few times, it'll go back to normal & work again, but every few days or so, it does it again. Clutch pedal resistance is fine, brake fluid is fine, I can't locate the clutch reservoir on the car, so I don't know whether I need that or not. The car is a 2000 celica gt-s. Relatively taken care of, but has seen its fair share of issues. Has recently been driving often after a good year of sitting. Haven't replenished or flushed any fluids other than the oil.

Clutch is not fully disengaging Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - the brake and clutch hydraulics share the same fluid reservoir, so if the reservoir is at the correct level - low fluid is not your clutch problem. This could be a failure of the pilot bearing as well as a failed clutch. When the pilot bearing freezes, it doesn’t allow the transmission input shaft to rotate freely as it needs to when the clutch pedal is pressed. In either case, unfortunately, the clutch will need to be disassembled to repair this. I would recommend a clutch inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.