Q: I think the fuel pump is going out. Can you diagnose this?

I looked up on Google fuel pump issues but there also can be other issues, I want to fix the problem but need to know exactly what the problem is first. It stalls out its hard to start , sometimes just turns off, I'm trying to get the car smogged

Hello. Yes, the fuel supply system can be evaluated by YourMechanic during a mobile visit. Typically, one is looking for supply pressures and volume of supply that are within spec. Sometimes a faulty pressure regulator or a fuel filter restriction (clogged filter) can be a cause. Indeed, if you are still on your original filter, this would not be unreasonable to replace the filter simply as a maintenance item.

If your original pump has 266,000 miles, it would not be surprising to find the pump tests bad (out of spec) but again, that has to be tested. If there is nothing wrong with the fuel supply (of course, as part of that the fuel injectors have to be evaluated), typically to diagnose a rough running condition, a diagnostic scope (or oscilloscope) is applied to determine whether a "global" fault (i.e., all cylinders) exists or whether you have one or a couple "faulty cylinders" where the fault is a bad plug, wire, coil, or even injector. If you would like to have the stalling problem diagnosed, you can enter your vehicle information on our website to schedule an appointment.

3. I think the fuel pump is going out. Can you diagnose this?