Q: I sucked a rag into my intake, how do I clean it out without pulling the whole motor apart?

I had a rag in my intake that I didn't see before I put my carburetor on. And know it runs but backfires. How do I clean it without pulling my whole motor apart?

Hey there. The rag may only get as far as the intake valve and not get past it yet until the valve chews it up. You should remove the carburetor and using long mechanical fingers small enough to reach into each intake runner to see which cylinder sucked the rag into it. You should be able to grab onto the rag and pull out the rag. If you cannot reach and pull it out then the intake manifold may need to be removed for access to the rag. If you need further help, I recommend having a local expert inspect the car in person to assist with the issue.

• I sucked a rag into my intake, how do I clean it out without pulling the whole motor apart?