Q: I smashed into a curb,crackd my radiator,now the car won't stay in gear,what did I break?

The dust cover had been removed by my mechanic.I smashed into a curb&cracked the bottom half of the radiator.The tow truck guy showed me,because I could'nt get the car to enage gears,The helper @ the mechanic told me flames are shooting out of the tail pipe.They don;t want to deal l w/t it.It was a gift from my daughter.What did I break on it.Does it need a new engine,how much would that be,We have a lot of Volvo part places around here.Pat

The failure of the transmission to stay in gear could be due to physical damage to the shift linkage. That would be apparent on inspection and testing. If the radiator is damaged, you can request radiator replacement and that replacement can be performed by YourMechanic’s certified mechanic right at your location. Any other damage to the vehicle would have to be evaluated and estimated during an inspection. If you want to begin the process of getting the car restored to running condition, feel free to request the radiator replacement and a shift linkage inspection/diagnostic. During that visit, the mechanic can help you to understand if other damage exists and how serious or costly it would be to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I smashed into a curb,crackd my radiator,now the car won't stay in gear,what did I break?