Q: I replaced the radiator water pump, thermostat, and timing belt. The car is acting like it doesn't want to stay on and it still gets hot.

I put a new thermostat, timing belt, and water pump on the car. Before I did that it was running smooth, just overheating. Now when I cut it on, it jumps and cuts off in the thermostat gauge keeps going up and down eventually too hot

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. If the overhe...

Hello, thanks for writing in. If the overheating began after you worked on the vehicle's cooling system, I would make sure that the system is properly filled and bled. If there are any air pockets anywhere in the cooling system, then they may cause the vehicle to overheat. Overheating can also be caused by a faulty thermostat, which can sometimes occur even if it is new. If the needle is behaving erratically it may also be possible that the temperature sender is bad or that the wiring may be loose or corroded. I would start by making sure that the system is properly filled and bled and go from there. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.