Q: I must replace the fuel pump every few weeks

asked by on September 09, 2016

The pump will lock up. No warning signs, nothing. Just stops working. The first time I thought, well, it happens. Bought a brand new one from, Western Auto. About two-three weeks later, again, it locks up. I thought, MAN! Did i do something wrong? I was a tad puzzled but I wrote it off, bought ANOTHER brand new one, also from, Western Auto. The third time, I noticed a wire hanging & assumed because of that wire it must have shorted out or what not. Now, along with these fuel pumps, I have also purchased a brand new battery & a used carburator. Now today again, driving along and out of no where here I am again broke down with the fuel pump locked up. I am stumped. I have researched online, purchased a large auto book, I have attempted to watch as many videos as I can stand to no avail. Thank you for your time & consideration. Sincerely, Ronda Martin.

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If you are experiencing repeated failure of brand new pumps from the same manufacturer, then it may be possible that you are simply running into low quality parts. I would inquire with the seller of the pumps if they’ve ever experienced any issues like these, and if they have any other brand of pump. If possible, I would recommend an OEM fuel pump. If the pump seems to be the common denominator then I would start with the pump, and then from there move on to examining the wiring and relays. If you would like one of our experts to take a look at this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the system and carefully diagnose the cause of the stalling issue.