Q: I'm trying to remove the timing chains and need some assistance

I'm having to tear down the motor in my 2002 jeep liberty and I've removed everything down to the timing chain cover. I can't figure out how to get the timing chain off

A: Hey there. Typically when you get to the po...

Hey there. Typically when you get to the point when you're ready to remove the timing chain on any motor, the process is similar: remove the timing chain cover, mark the engine timing marks, remove the timing gears and the chain is easily removed. The process can be complex and time consuming if you don't have the proper tools or training, especially if there are variable valve timing actuators or additional electrical components that can complicate the removal and installation process. Buying a service manual for your vehicle would be my first suggestion. Also, it's best to complete this project with the engine out of the vehicle as well. If you're not 100% confident in replacing your timing chain, book one of our mechanics to take care of this repair for you.