Q: I'm smelling gas - 1997 Volvo 850

I was told that the neck of the tank is rusted. Trying to buy used tank. I was told that there are 3 different types of tanks for this vehicle. How do i know which one to buy, can the problem be fixed without buying a new tank?

Hi there and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The best way is to look in your owner’s manual and look up the fuel tank size. Then remove the fuel tank from the vehicle to gain access to the fuel filler neck. Measure the length of the fuel filler neck and notate the bends in the neck.

Remove the neck from the fuel tank and take it with you when you purchase a new neck. This way you can match up the old neck to the new neck. Then install the new fuel neck and put the fuel tank back in the vehicle. After the vehicle is all done, it is best to let the vehicle sit for about 15 minutes and then go back and check for any fuel smell. If there is no smell, then the fuel system is now sealed. If there is still a fuel smell, then you will want to check the clamps that were installed and check the fuel filler cap. If you need further assistance with the fuel filler neck, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to verify the fault and move forward with repairs.

3. I'm smelling gas - 1997 Volvo 850