Q: I'm looking at buying a fusion and it sounds like it has a bad power steering pump. Could it be anything else?

Power steering pump sounds like it's making a loud noise. Would it be the pump or could it be a sensor of some sort? Makes the noise at idle and when moving the steering wheel both ways fully.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The first thing to do is check the level of the power steering fluid. If it is low then you may just need to add some fluid to quite down the system. If it is extremely low, there is likely a leak somewhere that will need to be repaired. If the power steering fluid is full, then the pump has likely failed, or is in the process of, and will need to be replaced. There are no other components that would cause the pump to whine like you describe. Other steering issue noises are more mechanical, like popping of the steering components, or the steering gear grinding. For more help diagnosing the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. I'm looking at buying a fusion and it sounds like it has a bad power steering pump. Could it be anything else?