Q: I just got my oil changed and now the car makes a clicking noise only while idle. What could that be?

asked by on September 18, 2017

I just got my oil changed and now it makes a clicking noise only while idle what does that mean?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Taylor. Thanks for contacting us tonight. A clicking noise while idling after an oil change could be caused by one of two things. If the oil level is low, it can cause a lubrication problem on top of the motor, which will cause cylinder head lifters to ’rattle’. However, if the engine oil that was replaced was older, the thick oil could have masked existing problems with loose internal engine components. It’s probably a good idea to first check your engine oil level. If it’s low, add oil until it is full to see if the noise goes away. If the engine oil is good, then you might want to have a professional mechanic complete an onsite inspection to determine where the noise is coming from.