Q: my alternator belt keeps breaking what could cause this

asked by on October 23, 2017

My alternator belt has snapped 3 times This last time it started smoking when i started it and when i looked the belt was broken.

Hi Paula. Thanks for contacting us today. 95% of the time, frequent alternator or serpentine belt breakage is caused by either faulty pulley’s or misaligned or un-properly adjusted belts. Belts that are not properly adjusted to tightness can also explain the smoke issue. I would recommend having a different mechanic complete this job, replace all pulley’s and any tensioners as well.