Q: Car jumped and died

asked by on February 09, 2016

I am getting three codes: P0101, P0171, and I can't remember the third, though I remember it had something to do with the second bank being too lean. After driving for a few hours, the car kind of jumped and then died. I was able to get it started, but it died again.

The P0101 code is a code for the Mass airflow meter, the P0171 is a ’too lean bank 1’ and the other code you have, you are saying, is for a ’too lean bank 2’. This means either the air mass meter or the O2 sensors are possibly faulty (it is unlikely both went bad at exactly the same time). It may also mean that you have a vacuum leak that is too large for the engine computer to correct for. The induction system should be smoked checked for leaks. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who has the expertise and diagnostic equipment to determine why your car is stalling and correct these faults.