Q: Pontiac G6 GT intermittently jerking on acceleration with no check engine light

The car runs great for months with no problems. All of a sudden it will jerk violently when accelerating. When it acts up, it does it intermittently for a couple of days and then it's fine again. There is no misfire that I can feel. It's had a recent tune up, water pump, and belt. I have also changed the transmission fluid and filter. It jerks really hard. You can feel the car jolt and hear a thud.

Hi Jennifer. The most common cause of this type of problem is a damaged mass air flow sensor. The mass airflow sensor measures how much air is entering the engine and relays this information to the vehicle’s computer so the right amount of fuel can be delivered from the fuel injectors. When a mass airflow sensor begins to fail, it will typically generate an error code that triggers the Check Engine light. This warning may be accompanied by an unexpected jerking or surging sensation while driving at high speed. It’s also possible that this is a symptom of the recent transmission fluid and filter service. If the symptoms occurred right after the transmission service, it’s possible that either an inner seal was pushed through (if the transmission flush was completed) or debris from the filter replacement is creating an obstruction in the hydraulic lines. I think the best way to move forward is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car jerks forward inspection.

3. Pontiac G6 GT intermittently jerking on acceleration with no check engine light