Q: I have the advance Trac service light. The dealer wants to replace the valve body in the transmission. Charging $2000. Doesn't sou

I have the advance Trac service light. The dealer wants to replace the valve body in the transmission. Charging $2000. Doesn't sound right

The first issue is the diagnostic; the cost can only be evaluated once the problem is conclusively diagnosed. If you have no intelligible and complete account from the dealer as to what exactly the fault is, as well as how the diagnostic was arrived at it, then I share your skepticism. Anytime a diagnostic is performed, enough evidence and explanation should be given to you such that the dealer’s recommendation appears credible and reasonable. If you were given nothing, it’s probably a mistake to proceed. In addition, in your particular case, I would have lots of questions relative to the Technical Service Bulletins that Ford has published on this vehicle dealing with traction control system faults. There again, if your mention of these Ford Bulletins draws a blank stare from dealer personnel, probably not a good idea to proceed. The bottom line is unless a credible explanation has been given to you of exactly what the fault is, accompanied by data (i.e., evidence) such as a read-out from the test equipment, it’s not wise to spend such a large sum of money. Once a diagnosis is conclusively given, if you like we can then offer an opinion on the cost. If you were to seek a diagnostic from a certified professional from YourMechanic, the relevant service is a traction light diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns as you decide what to do, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.

3. I have the advance Trac service light. The dealer wants to replace the valve body in the transmission. Charging $2000. Doesn't sou