Ford Fiesta 2013 shows transmission malfunction after car...

Q: Ford Fiesta 2013 shows transmission malfunction after car had a broken (since been replaced). We waited for car to cool down befor

asked by on July 09, 2017

Ford Fiesta 2013 shows transmission malfunction after car had overheated (Fan was broken and we have replaced it ). We waited for car to cool down before restarting it but the battery had died. When we got it jumped the wrench light appeared and a transmission malfunction message showed up. Took it to the dealership and the said that the battery is dying and putting out low voltage. We changed the battery and the Messge and light are still there.

The radiator fan is used to draw air into the radiator at a faster rate than it would come through naturally. On many vehicles, transmission fluid is routed to the radiator via transmission cooler lines. There is a separate channel inside the radiator that transmission fluid flows through to be cooled by the air coming through the radiator. It is possible that with the broken fan, not enough air was coming through the radiator to cool the transmission fluid. Most vehicles have a temperature gauge for the engine, which is likely why you pulled over when it overheated. However, if the engine overheated and transmission fluid is traveling through the same part the the engine coolant is traveling through, it is safe to say the the transmission has overheated as well. I would recommend having your transmission inspected by a qualified professional to determine what damage has occured due to the overheating and have it resolved as soon as possible.