Q: Can the tie rods on a 2011 Nissan Juke be replaced without replacing the entire power steering system?

My mechanic says the tie rods on my car need to be replaced but in my particular model they can't get just those parts, they have to replace the whole power steering system. Is this true? I took it in for an oil change and came out with a quote for $3100 worth of work they say needs to be done. I'm wondering if they are trying to pull one over on the single girl.

The tie rod ends for your vehicle, both the inner and the outer ends, are available for separate purchase. If you bought these tie rod ends yourself from an auto parts store, they’re "roughly" $50 each or $200 in total if you bought all four (your vehicle has a total of four). It would be unusual (indeed, exceptional) for tie rod ends to fail on a Nissan with only 36,000 miles on it. If you have a problem with the car, I suggest you get it evaluated by a TRUSTWORTHY, knowledgeable individual. A vehicle with 36,000 miles on it is frankly a brand new vehicle and to be in need of thousands of dollars worth of repairs would be unusual, excepting a circumstance where the vehicle was in a collision, abused, or otherwise damaged. If you have a steering issue, please simply request a steering system evaluation/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will thoroughly evaluate your vehicle, address your concerns and give you the information you need about any required repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Can the tie rods on a 2011 Nissan Juke be replaced without replacing the entire power steering system?