Q: I have one iPhone 6s in my hands free system & it won't pair. It never is discoverable in the list but it shows up under the BT

As above the word iPhone shows up under blue tooth button on my phone but not in the list of devices. I tried pairing a new phone but nothing I do will pair the phone. It was working 3 months ago.

First, it is helpful if you included which model Toyota you have.

I think most of us haven’t had a lot of experience with bluetooth devices. Bluetooth being a computer software and hardware technology, I am going to address it in the same way. Whenever we have devices working together in this fashion, it is prudent to reset both of them and start from scratch. Often times software will disable devices for reasons equivalent to a computer crash. Bluetooth is still a new technology and new technology are always prone to glitches. It takes a few years for all the real world problems to be solved and covered by all the manufacturers.

So begin by restarting your phone. Most likely it is your iPhone that is the issue. There is quite of bit of information online about Apple having challenges with connecting to bluetooth devices. If you haven’t done so recently, update your phone. If these don’t help, try disconnecting the battery on the car and touching the positive and negative cables together. This will discharge all the capacitors and often results in the resetting of any computer module on your car.

Two important details if you decide to discharge the capacitors in your car. Number one, make sure both cables are disconnected when you touch them together. Number two, by doing this, you will loose all saved data for the radio, seat memory, adaptive memory etc. Adaptive memory is data your motor uses to adapt to changing conditions the motor experiences as your car ages. Your car may run a bit weird for a few minutes when you first start it. This is normal and it will relearn the adaptives fairly quickly. You may experience some other strange things when you first drive it after touching the battery cables.

If you’re unable to fix the problem yourself, consider having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the issue with your radio firsthand.

Good luck! I wish I could hear back to find out if any of this works.

• I have one iPhone 6s in my hands free system & it won't pair. It never is discoverable in the list but it shows up under the BT